"Ko Whanokao te maunga
Kaiaio was a son of Tukaki who was a son of Apanui Ringamutu. He was known as a grower of kumara and progenitor from whence came the saying ..." Kotahi taku huata ki Hauruia...te mano, te mano, te mano."
The wharenui was built in 1914. It was last extensively rennovated in the early 1980's. On top of the koruru of the wharenui stands a carved lion. There are many versions for why a lion was carved. 1 version is that a koroua had a kaitiaki kuri called "Raiona", hence the carved lion on the koruru.
The original wharekai was moved to the current site early in the 20th century from where it originally stood (near the Teddy and Tunks properties).
The current wharekai is the second one built and in the year 2003 is currently having the kitchen renovated to accommodate the ever growing uri of this tipuna.
On the seaside of the marae housed in its own shelter is the whaleboat Ngutuwera,however it was more commonly known as the greyhound. It was in the care of the Gisborne Museum until the 1990's when the hapu secured its return.